Wednesday 30 July 2014

More Wainrights with Bob

Although the SLMM had moved we decided against the Tde F and headed for the lakes. By the time we reached Buttermere the weather was pretty dreadful. The waterfall at Newlands was most impressive and the road upto Honister was remarkably similar to the evening of the fated OMM! Bob had hoped to be dropped at the top of Honister, grab a couple of Wainrights and join me at the foot of Fleetwith Pike. I was quite relieved when he changed his mind- I would not have to worry about him nor would I have to drive the van back down the flooded road. Instead we moved just north of Buttermere and Bob did a quick ascent and back of Riggingdale Knott to test his new waterproof and to gain one Wainright. I sat and read, cosy in the van.
Luckily the weather moved through and Saturday was fine. We set off from Newlands Hause amazed at how the water level in the waterfall had dropped overnight. I used the opportunity to try out the poles I had acquired for the UTMB.

 I have some reservations as it means my hands are full so I may not eat, drink etc so easily but they do seem to keep me more upright on the uphills which should be good for keeping my diaphram open. We were soon on Knott Rigg and reminising about routes and CPs from the RAB last autumn. The run along this ridge and over Ard Crags was a joy with great views in all directions.

We then dropped inot the valley and crossed a couple of lanes and fields before climbing Cat Bells, start of a RAB and a LDMT. We continued over Maiden Moor, High Spy and on to Dale Head. It was cool and breezy on the tops but still sunny.

I met a DoE group that had camped out wild and took their photo for them. These hills have steep sides but are grassy and runnable, perhaps I should do the Anniversary Waltz again next year. From Dale Head we headed for Hindscarf and then Robinson.

The moss between there and the van at Newlands Hause was as wet as I expected but as we were going downhill it was less of a trial. We had considered adding in Grey Knotts and Fleetwith Pike after Dale Head and in retrospect we should have done.

It was only mid afternoon when we arrived back at the van. After chilling and refuelling I drove back to Honister and Bob set off to claim the other peaks. I parked near Gatesgarth farm and then powered up Fleetwith Pike.

It was steep but I set myself a target of 35 minutes. I hoped to meet Bob here but could not see him. I ran off down to the mine works and still no luck. I raced back to the top just in case to see him emerging along a trod.


Sundays adventure started from Loweswater and included some of the lower and more outlying fells. The scree path up melbreaks looked awful and the DH race avoided descending it so we set off along the bridleway and then just headed upwards after the crags.

It was a tough start to the day! There was no easy or logical way to include all the Wainrights we wanted today.

From Melbreaks we dropped to Scale Beck and then climbed up beside it to almost the top before breaking out towards Little Dood and Starling Dodd.

These tops were quiet and we had seen almost nobody today.  After Great Bourne we skirted Floutern Tarn and did Hen Cloud as an out and back. It was a joy to reach Gavel Fell and leave the boggy bottoms behind.

Heading for Blake Fell I started recognising the terrain from the FRA relays held there some years ago. Although it is not a Wainright we included the craggy edge out to Carling Knott before our final peak Burnbank Fell.

The run off this to the NE made us smile and we were soon down in Holme Wood and strolling back to the van. We decided trying to include Darling Fell etc could spoil the day.

Considering the rain on Friday evening it was a very successful weekend. The write up is a bit short and factual and I now see why I try to complete this task sooner after the event.

2 comments:

  1. Cracking images Karen - a fine adventure. Psss keep those views a secret or they'll all be up there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree- we spent Easter on some of the northern tops- grassy, great running and no crowds.

    ReplyDelete