Tuesday 18 September 2018

LDWA Red Rose 50

It was nice to be going to an event on an area that I mostly knew fairly well and where it wasn't really a race. Well, that's what I said until Gordon said Go. I felt a little guilty at not racing Hardmoors 60 as it was the 11th race in the Runfurther series and I like supporting Jon's events. This time though it seemed more important to support our local LDWA who needed the numbers if the event was to have any chance of continuing next year. Gordon and others had worked hard on the route description and it seemed a shame that it could fold.
Gordon - the route description man
It was a busy racing weekend with Glen Coe Sky races, Hardmoors 60, FRA Cautley, a mini MM, Robin Hood 100 and many more. Other friends were missing because they were helping at a JNC.
We checked out various sections of the route on the previous Sunday and Monday. I ran from Houghton to Mellor and then Tockholes before looping back to Houghton. This meant then I could drop Bob in Mellor on the Monday and he could do a linear reccie from there to almost the finish. He knew some of that would be in the dark. The text seemed good and it was worth the reccie to know the way after Darwen Tower. we should have checked leaving the fell before Hawshaw but both muddled through on the day.

Next decision was where to spend Friday night. Home or the van. Bob had opted for the 8am start so we drove to Turton on Friday evening and parked up just before dark. He was up by 6.30 and then dressed and ready to go by about 7.15. I tried to go back to sleep but was awake now so had a leisurely breakfast in the van, checked my gear and wandered down to the sailing club to register. The early start was just coming up the main road. Registration was very swift as there were fewer than 30 runners.

Plenty of time to chat to Albert who was running with Toney, Abi who was waiting for Mark S and surprise surprise Dave Kamis and Patrick Barry. The rain stopped and started and then stopped again. It would be a frustrating morning with the cag. I headed out to the start and was surprised to find runners lined up on the reservoir side of a gate. I went through and started a trend; no need for a bottle neck in the first yard! Gordon spoke a bit and then we were off.
I had told myself it was not a race just a challenge. No prizes, no points...... Thinking I might just trot round I had even told Dave Kamis not to rely on my for nav as I might not keep up with him. Sadly I never saw him and I think he did get lost a couple of times. After a few hundred metres I found the only runners ahead of me were Albert and Toney; they are stronger and faster than me. Climbing to the ridge of Turton I could see a stream of other runners not far behind me and expected to be caught soon. Instead it seems I pulled away. The drizzle was back and as I dropped to the main road it was heavy enough for me to get my cag out. Just as well because the rain was even worse as I ran towards Belmont. En route I helped a late walker with nav and then a group of walkers who had missed a grassy trod. Picking off others on the way to the San Marino at Belmont made me feel good even if they were walkers and joggers. As I drew near to the CP I could see Albert and Toney just leaving. I grabbed two jaffa cakes and set off for the big climb up Winter Hill. Although I did run bits of the ramp the boys were ahead and out of sight by the time I reached the top. The moorland fires had led to the creation of new 'roads' on the moor to allow firefighters access and to act as fire breaks. It looked very different.
Wet on Rivington Pike
The telegraph pole after Pike Cottage had the first self clip; presumably to make sure we didn't head from the mast straight to the Pike. A second self clip checked we had been to the summit of the Pike. By now there were lots of walkers and also mountain bikers doing an off-road Manchester to Blackpool Ride. The drop to CP2 at Rivington was speedy and I treated myself to a very quick cup of tea and tea bread.  Next was over the dam and a bit of lane and track running. I tried to think of it as a bonus with easy running. I spotted Bob up ahead and stopped for a quick chat then I met Ian F and we ran together for a short while. The weather was improving although a DoE group didn't exactly look enthused. After Healy Nab I was back on familiar territory and used the flat section to up the pace as I ran to White Coppice and then Brinscall. Albert and Toney had already gone but here I caught the lead walker/joggers. They didn't hang around at the CP but marched off with cheese crumpets. I instead opted for two cups of tea and more tea bread before setting out in chase. Ian, the lead walker, was running a fair bit and it took me most of the way to Houghton to catch him. Somewhere in this stretch the winning man overtook us all. The CP here was a little out and back which was slightly annoying but did allow me to see how far ahead Albert was. Yes, the idea that it wasn't a race had already got lost. I stopped for banana and custard and to remove my cag and refill my water bottle. The woods behind Houghton Tower were less muddy than I expected and I was soon at the level crossing. At least a dozen people were stood waiting. Later I heard the hoots of a steam train and understood why. The next woods made up for it with plenty of mud and water then the old cobbled lane through Alum Scar woods was greasy. Still I emerged on the lane leading to Old Doozies unscathed. A couple of fields and I was across the Blackburn road and into Mellor Brook. To me this was half way; the top of the loop. I rounded the corner for the CP to see Toney at the back of a car having deep heat rubbed into his side. A trapped nerve? was giving him pain and had seriously slowed the pair down.
This CP thoughtfully provided little over booties so I refilled my water and enjoyed a couple of sandwiches with my cup of tea. Fortified I set out for the relatively steep climb from the A59 up through fields to Mellor. It passed faster than I expected and I was soon zooming down Church Street. On the fields descending to the Blackburn road I could see the boys again and on the way to the next farm I caught them. The car park on the back of Billinge Hill was gated to prevent dodgy events (I have seen male pron there and a male friend waiting for DoE kids was propositioned there). It was deserted today and I really enjoyed my run down to the athletics track and out towards the canal. Being flat should make the canal good but I don't like tow path running and had to really talk to myself and make sure I kept a reasonable pace here. From the canal to Tockholes was new to me but the route description was perfect. Marshalls at Tockholes greeted me with real enthusiasm so I sat eating pasta and supping tea. I also refilled my water yet again.
Darwen Tower- so many photos, no wonder I beat them!
Once I reached Earnshaw Reservoir I was on familiar ground again and could switch off. It's ages since I have climbed to Darwen Tower from that direction and it was steeper than I remembered. The moorland path contouring above Darwen was very wet but not muddy really. I had given up any hope of dry feet by now anyway. The 'new to me' path was marked with canes and I was sure later runners would be very grateful for them in the dark as the path is small, vegetated and crosses several areas wet enough to be ponds. In daylight I was soon across this and on the big track to Cadshaw. By now I recognised the footprints of the only guy ahead of me and was amused to see he also knew of the tiny short cut on the field. There were plenty of people still enjoying Entwistle Reservoir and two small children raced me on their bikes. This time at the CP I settled for a cup of tea and fruit salad jelly. It reminded me of visits to my nana, especially when they offered evaporated milk on it! I was tired now but suddenly got a boost when the CP told me I only had 8 or 9 miles to go. I had confused km and miles and thought it was still further. I wasn't looking forward to the next section of lanes but knew that with a bit of effort I could still beat the dark.  I made two small errors on the way to Hawkshaw - one got me very very wet feet and the other confused me as I emerged unexpectedly on a lane. I soon sorted it and once at the farm on Hawkshaw Lane I knew the way across the fields to emerge by the pub. This time I didn't stop at the CP at all; the end was in sight. I lost some time after Affetside as a herd of very excitable cows kept charging behind me even when I slowed to snails pace. I had a scarey moment as I turned to wave them away as one skidded and stopped only inches from me but after countless stops and arm waving I did reach the stile and was able to run faster downhill to the lane for Jumbles Reservoir. It was getting dark under the trees and this made me cautious too. Fortunately the last half mile was easy and open enough to be light. 10 hrs 31 not too bad at all.

It took several cups of tea before I was ready for food but what great food it was. Home made soup, lasagne, a cheese board and Manchester tart. Wow. Rumours that the showers were not staying hot for long meant I just washed the mud and sweat off in the sink but even that revived me. It was about 10.20pm. Should I wait for Bob? How long would he be? Was there any point? The pull of my bed was too strong so I slowly ambled back up to the car park with Ian. Albert fell asleep in the sailing club.
Recovery
Bob was back at the van between midnight and 1am. He'd had a good run finishing within our formula of "my time plus 50%" and he was pleased to only be 14 minutes behind Abi and Mark.
A grand day out. I really hope they decide to run the event again. The CP staff and food were brilliant and it is good to have a 50 mile LDWA on our doorstep. Now he has a qualifying event I think I have persuaded Bob we should do the LDWA 100 next May as our birthdays treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment