Tuesday 31 May 2022

My Birthday run

 It's becoming a tradition- find a long run and do it solo with perhaps a bit of van support at a few key locations. Even better if you can now get son number two to join his dad so you have two vans - they can have fun during the day and also a bit of company plus at night they can take turns and keep an eye on each other and make sure they are not getting too tired.

This year it seemed even more important than usual to prove to myself that I can still do it (DNF on NT still having an impact). I opted for a route that I knew about but had not recceed at all. I did know some bits at least in outline although often from the opposite direction and from some years ago. 


My chosen route was the Dales Highway. Just over 90 miles (my strava showed almost 94) and a fair bit of climb at 4212m. I opted to run it north to south which is not apparently what most do. Most signage did seem to be from the other direction when it did exist at all.  Not sure which direction would be best, it perhaps makes little difference. As it turns out my option was best as we got quiet parking at the pub in Hoff and escaped the Appleby fair chaos early on. 

A pub meal and beer might not have been wise but it was my birthday after all.  These solo challenges are interesting in that there is not the same pressure as in a race and I wasn't even terribly fussed about my time. No, that's not entirely true- I wanted to finish in under 24 hours. On the other hand there was no company, fewer CPs than usual and not the same race hype/incentive.

I was awake early on Saturday morning before my 4.15am alarm. Breakfast, dressing and toilet meant I was ready for the short drive to Appleby by about 4.30am. As I stood at the Moot Hall it was light and very quiet. I set off up through the town and past the castle as a couple of shops were taking early morning deliveries. Within 1km I made my first minor nav error as I missed a bridleway. OS on my phone was going to get lots of use today! The first fields and paths had tall vegetation and a heavy morning dew.  Wet feet and legs from the start, oh well.

The early start did mean that before I reached the vans at Hoff I had seen rabbits, hares, a deer, heron and countless other birds. Bob and Chris cheered me on my was through Hoff before setting off for Sedbergh.

Here they would leave our van on my route and then go off for a walk up Cautley Spout. With luck they would be back at the van before me but if not I had a key. Lowland paths led me to Great Asby before most people were up and the lanes were traffic free. From there I headed up onto the limestone and over to Sunbiggin Tarn. A couple of minor errors but no serious diversions. It was starting to get warm and sunny.  After crossing the main road at Wath it was a climb up and into the Howgills. 

I love these mountains and their great rounded humps. The views were stunning in all directions although it looked a bit dark over on the northern Pennines. 

I met another runner on Hazelgill Knott and wondered how Bob and Chris were enjoying their walk. 

Approaching the Calf I realised they were just up ahead.  I had gone faster than hoped for but they had been following my track and decided to meet me up there. 

It was a lovely surprise. From there over Calders and down to Sedbergh was fairly speedy. I found the van and made a quick brew before refilling my water and topping up snacks.

Quiet tracks and lanes led me to the ridge over to Dentdale. I had a reminiss of a race over Barbon and thought of the Fellsman only a few weeks ago. Dent was predictably busy and people were now up and about.  It's a quaint little village but I had no time today. Riverside paths led me onto the Fellsman route over the northern shoulder of Whernside. at east today I didn't have to drop into the boggy valley and climb back up to Blea Moor! Dropping down towards Ribblehead there were hoards of walkers out doing a 3Ps charity challenge. They were friendly but many had no hill etiquette- radios blaring, four abreast taking up all the path etc.  I was pleased to reach Winterscales and turn off their route for a while. I made a deliberate decision to modify the route and avoid Chapel le Dale- I wanted to pass the snack bat on Philpin Lane ( two ice lollies please) and avoid the extra 500m on the B road which I knew would be very busy. Back at the Hill Inn I encountered the charity walkers again but few had made it that far yet. 

It was nice to be going up this path to Ingleborough as I hate the step descent. It was chilly on the top so I shot off straight away towards Nick Pot. The rocky path slowed me at first but as I turned away from Horton and left almost all the people the path turned grassy and very runnable. I made good time down to Wharfe and then Feizor where I spotted a lad training his Kestrel. Grassy paths and one small error led me to Stainforth where late afternoon meant the campsite was busy and some people were still playing in the river. I was now on a mission to reach Settle and the vans again. I had a rough schedule of pace and was still ahead of 4mph. I knew that I wanted a decent break now and a chance to recharge my phone, eat, drink and air my feet. 

Getting wet feet so early on meant some of the tape had peeled off and the hot spot under my big toe was in fact a water filled blister. Damn. I aired my feet, removed some tape, taped my toe, ate chips and quiche, drank tea and soup! Clean dry socks and I needed to get going again. It was a 30 min break but well needed.

I felt a bit full heading uphill out of town but all that food would give me energy soon. I love the scenery up past Attermire Scar and through to Stockdale Lane but it did feel like a truly relentless climb and it went on and on until I could see Malham Tarn. A very short down to the lane and then the gnarly track down Malham Cove meant I didn't make up much time on the descent as I was too busy making sure I didn't trip and end my adventure. Gordale was very busy which spurred me on up the lane to Weets Top. It was late afternoon but still warm even though the sun was sinking behind me. From Weets past Winterburn Reservoir and down to Hetton was quiet and speedy- a good path on the whole and few trip hazards. I made up some time. The vans had been tracking me and as they were bored with Settle ha decided to surprise me in Hetton village.

My sudden turn of speed meant they had to do the same! A lovely surprise and what a pretty little village- all flash Range Rovers and a 5* restaurant. 

I was now on new paths until the trig on Sharp Haw.  The riverside path to Flasby was good but the moors below the trig were the muddiest of the day. It was a relief to reach the summit and head down towards Skipton in the fading light. The path down was good and grassy until it met a track and then a lane. I recognised the vans as they shot across the B road just ahead of me and I knew the next couple of kilometres as it is the start of Lady Annes Way. It was getting dark as I crossed the golf course and then the A59 but I knew I would be in the market square in minutes. It was a bit of a shock to find masses of people dressed up for a boozy night out but a relief to climb into the van for more soup etc.  I checked my phone had charge- they were tracking me on Strava beacon and I was using it to nav when I had to.  It was tempting to linger but I didn't stop long. The climb out of town reminded me of a strange evening event we once did called the Shortbank Olympics- a local legend used to cone off the road and put on all sorts of races from a short hill sprint to a fell run. Then it was up into the woods and unknown territory again. After Skipton Moor the route drops all the way to Addingham and you know you will have to regain all the climb back up onto the moor and the start of the Ilkley Moor ridge. 

It was dark this time!

This was possibly my low point and I didn't know the paths which slowed me down and it seemed a pointless drop and climb. By the time I was up on the moor again all was good and as the path steadily improves as you move east I picked up the pace. The vans were waiting for me at Spicey Gill. Chris had even set an alarm to make sure he was up and out waiting for me. we woke Bob and I had a quick brew. Seeing them and getting encouragement spurred me on for the last section. I had a vague idea of this next bit but do not know it well. The initial climb seemed steep and the 12 Apostles took longer to appear than I had hoped. Coming off the back of the moor I was annoyed to lose the path once but managed to get back on track and was soon at the Otley- Bingley road. The very last miles were entirely new to me but I got a pleasant surprise as the track/lane was a good running surface and there was less climb than I expected. Once on Glen Road I knew the end was in sight. I was frustrated not to find the path down into Shipley Glen but after 5 mins gave up and opted for the next more obvious path instead. 

A quick section through the woods, over the river, along the canal and then just a few hundred metres uphill to Victoria Square and the Saltaire Lions. 

The vans were both parked up and Bob and Chris out ready to welcome me to the finish. Yes- job done and although the pace had slowed after Settle I made it in under 23 hours. Strava says 21hrs 6 ins moving time. 

I was amazed to find I had also won two segment crowns and had 6 personal records on segments.

What a wonderful day out with great support. After a few photos we moved the vans up onto Glen Road and fell into bed. I was wired and my hips hurt so I struggled to sleep but it was nice to be horizontal. Up for traditional post run breakfast of fried egg on bread and coffee at 8.30 and then just the drive home. Happy 61st Birthday to me. Weekend rounded off nicely with presents and a play plus cuddles with Layton. We slept through our alarms on Monday but still managed over 4 hours at the climbing wall. Still cannot believe how lucky I was with the weather  after a long spell of either wind or rain or both and today as I right this torrential rain for a few hours. Feeling blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment