I will try to do this blog more quickly than the previous two and whilst it is still fresh in my mind! It was a repeat visit as I also did the race in 2025. I was a little nervous as I felt a bit under prepared as I had barely done any running training. I hoped that H200 (I only did 120) at the end of May/ start of June, L100 at the end of July and GRP at end of Aug would count for something. I had also done loads of via ferratas and some serious SUP during our holiday. I had no great expectations and there seemed to be more women entered than last year which is good. I couldn't find a start list until Opentracking appeared showing 30+ women but then on the day many fewer- confusing but hey ho. I also didn't know any of them except Nic F so could not judge what the field was like. I guessed I was unlikely to replicate last years 3rd place.
Having done the race before is good in some ways as it can be good to know what to expect of the route and also the CPs etc. We drove up on Friday lunch time as registration was very slick and speedy. I chatted with Joe and Stu from Nav4 who were doing the hill safety and lots of other friends who were volunteering. The afternoon was spent faffing with gear and then just relaxing in the van. By 4.30 I was back at HQ handing my drop bag over and then whiling away the time.
The forecast kept changing but it looked like it might be chilly over night but not really cold and that it would be mostly dry. Having spent 7 weeks in the continental heat wave I opted for more clothing than many. I had also got used to having no rain and so the very wet terrain came as a bit of a shock. The start is a bit fast and furious and I got tempted along despite my best efforts to reign it in. It was nice to chat to Eeke as we headed below Cat Bells but she was stronger and faster. I am wise enough to know when to let another runner go! This year I did not need my torch until I was almost at Honister and yet I only reached the CP 4 minutes earlier. I think I was 4th woman at this stage.
Bright red beacons led us upwards and then there was the gnarly descent to Gatesgarth. My old eyes, slower reactions and less bouncy muscles now fear a tumble on such trails and so I was cautious. It's annoying to get overtaken by many that you have passed on the climbs. I arrived safely at the farm and prepared for the climb over to Wasdale.
I like this wild section and the band at Black Sail was a real delight. What an atmosphere! They had me buzzing all the way to Wasdale and beyond. The lady with the kettle of cold water was very welcome too. I made sure to eat and refill bottles at the CP. I think I had now moved into 3rd as one woman was feeling ill.
All this is the L100 in reverse and so I was confident with my nav but it was still nice to have torches ahead and behind to confirm the route and also to help me keep the pace up. The flat area near Devoke Tarn was very very wet but Boot soon appeared. A short detour and I was at the CP. I managed lots of food here (something I am not always good at). tea, Soup, Cheese and marmite sandwich and rice pud! The next section is the longest between CPs and so refuelling was important. It was a wonderful night and an amazing moon.
Although we were heading for Coniston where the L100 starts the route was not identical and twice I went astray. My watch was not giving me alerts as it usually does. I spent much of this part running with a lovely guy who lives not far from me. We chatted about ultras, the army and much more. I climbed well up Walna Scar road and descended quite well for me too. The CP had moved slightly and again I made time to eat. I set out alone but once in the woods en route to Hawkshead there was company again. The climbs from Coniston to Wray are not big and I was happy jogging along with about 8 other runners for company.
![]() |
| Nav4 friends doing hill safety |
Last year at Wray I was rather sick so it was good to eat more and feel OK this time. I left the CP with a trio of lads- two of which I knew from the Fellsman. We stayed together most of the way to Elterwater and then Langdale. A few times I let them pull ahead but then gradually reeled them in again. I think running as a group can mean you suffer each others slow points. Not long after Wray it was light enough not to need our torches but the sky had suddenly got much darker and the tops were shrouded in cloud. We were going to get wet. So much for the forecast.
Just before the Langdale CP we caught another woman. Again she was not feeling great and I felt a bit bad racing on. We got a great welcome form the CP staff but sadly the porridge pots were gross so I grabbed banana and two donuts plus a cup of tea. The lads set off before I was ready and I guessed I wouldn't see them again. I was surprised to catch them towards the end of the flat valley section. We climbed a very wet Rosset Ghyll chatting away. I was glad of my waterproof as showers kept coming through but it was really the wind that was brutal. Despite the weather Louise doing hill safety was out watching over us. I wanted to put my over trousers on but knew it would be a faff. Somewhere between the big tarns I lost the lads and caught up with a new friend- I think it was Jonny Ulett. We chatted all things Ultra and he was especially interested in the Transpyrenea race.
We were still talking about this when we met the race photographer and interviewer as we dropped into dropped into Borrowdale. It was now so much warmer and the wind had vanished. The run through the lower part of the valley was much easier and we were soon at the CP. As I sat eating Darren appeared- he often catches me half way through a race so perhaps his pacing is better.
I set off alone but by now there were more runners from other distances around me now. Darren soon caught me and although I tried to stay with him he was far too strong. I could see Lining Crag up ahead in the distance and at least the weather now looked good. Having runners from other valley races to pick off helped too. A quick wave to the safety marshall and we were off down into Easedale on a path that gradually improved. Darren was still only just ahead as we continued on the coast to coast path into Grasmere. A change of CP venue had some runners confused but I trusted my GPX as it took us on a little loop east over the river and then back into the show ground. Here I got my long awaited drop bag almost 120km into the race. I had made a silly error and not carried any clean socks in my pack. I love my VJ shoes but the open weave does let grit in and I knew I had a couple of bad rubs on my feet. It was warm enough to sit outside and my priority was to get me feet dry in the fresh air. I couldn't face pasta but enjoyed my box of custard, a cup of tea and a few other snacks. I sorted my torch ready for night two and swapped to my bigger over trousers just in case as they are easy to pull on. In all my faffing with torch and clothes I forgot to collect the food I had intended and so did not replace the caffeine bullets or the MF gels, what an idiot. I did check the tracker link, just once, here. I was very anxious that Lizzie might be catching me up but in the ened sensibly decided that if she did there was nothing I could do about it.
Darren had already left but said he was going to walk with family for a bit so I ran through the village and caught him just before the path leaves the road and drops to the lake. He was still running strongly and I couldn't keep up although I could keep him in sight. This continued along Rydal Water and then the back lane into Ambleside. I dislike the next little section along the main road as it is always busy with traffic and pedestrians- the L100 route is nicer here. I think this caused us to push the pace a bit here. Darren stopped for the toilet at Waterhead and I pushed on alone and was relieved to climb up into the woods. I jogged on alone but then at Troutbeck suddenly there were other runners, including Darren. More donuts, banana and cheese/marmite sandwich.
The drop to the main road and then up the start of the Garburn track was easy and a relief not to be climbing all the way up to the pass here. Troutbeck valley seemed to go on forever though so I must have been getting more tired now. The weather looked worse up ahead and I prayed it would not be as bad as last year. It did at least motivate me to hang on to Darren's tail! I was glad of my cag but had to stop to put gloves and head torch on. I had a moment where I thought the torch was failing but it was just my hood. Darren kept a good pace across to High Street , around the Knott and then on the less than lovely drop to the Filter House. It was misty and quite windy but nothing like the awful conditions last year.
We refuelled, had a chat to the CP staff and pushed on. My quads didn't like the drop to Hartsop but it is a decent track so I tried to ignore the discomfort.
A voice suddenly said 'Broughton High School' - it was a parent whose children I had taught. I now worked out that it was Emma who had shouted Mrs Nash in Grasmere. Again Darren seemed stronger and was always ahead as we ran to Patterdale and Glenridding. I stopped for 2 min sit down in the car park but then caught the group as we went up past the Travellers Rest. The climb up past Nicky's house seemed OK, although the road was busy, so perhaps I wasn't trying hard enough. The CP was very welcome and I knew I wanted to eat lots here before heading up Sticks Pass. More lovely staff fed me tea, pizza and sandwiches. Last year I was a mess here and I worried that I must be going slower if I felt OK- in fact my splits show all race that my pace was very similar to last year and just a few minutes slower all the way round. Twelve minutes slower after 157km is nothing and it had been wetter underfoot this year.
We set off together up the pass and could soon see the lights of the hill safety team up ahead. The path down to Legburthwaite is now in a shocking state and seemed much worse than I remembered in the dark and after the rain. The top of the descent is at least just boggy, the rocks come later. Despite being a wuss on this we overtook quite a few people. A quick wee stop at the bottom before the short section along the verge of the main road was coned off for us and then we were on the slightly dodgy path in the woods- OK so long as you don't slip or trip as there is a big drop to the right. I always feel totally disorientated along this path section and it felt like being in an Escher painting until we emerged onto the lane below Low Rigg.
From here I suddenly felt like it would all be OK and that the end was in sight. The climb over Low Rigg was boggy but soon passed and then I was jogging down towards Burns Farm. Somewhere here I lost Darren and pushed on ahead with Martin. Our van appeared and I stopped for a very brief chat with Bob. I asked if Lizzie was catching me as I didn't want to lose 2nd place after all these miles. I was gobsmacked when he told me I was in first place as Eeke had retired some time ago. No time to linger- Martin and I pushed on towards Threlkeld and the Blencathra Centre. There was still about 12km to go so I was keen to eat but suddenly my body was less happy. I am not sure if it was the tomato soup or the water melon but I raced outside to be violently sick about 8 times. Ultra running is such a glamorous sport! Once empty I felt better and set off. Martin was now long gone but I knew the way. A mix of running and walking got me round Glenderaterra Beck and onto the path below Lonscale Fell. This path seemed awful with bogs and rocks and so much water. Then my head torch failed! It took a few minutes to replace the battery. From the car park below Latrigg I did run but it seemed to go on and on. I gave up chasing my 2025 time even though I did pass runners in the lower part of the woods and the A66. The flags led me through Fitz Park and into town. My tired and befuddled brain started to struggle here but a kind supporter pointed the way- there were also signs! It is a cruel end to the race as when you emerge from the underpass and reach the park you get sent on a loop to Booths, along a lane and then to the back of Crow Park. I caught an American guy here who confirmed we were on course. It felt like a sprint finish up the path in the park and over the hill to the finish gantry- it probably didn't look like one to others.
Wow- a run through the finish banner with poles raised in triumph. Bob waited until the official photographers had finished before he came for a kiss and photos.
He took my poles and heavy trophy as we moved inside to collect my drop bag and have a sit down. It was almost embarrassing how delighted people were for me and how they used words like amazing and inspirational.
Lee K was amazed at how consistent my splits were with 2025 and Shane came to say well done too. After a cup of tea what I really wanted was a quick wash and my bed in the van.
A few hours sleep and a big fried egg on bread breakfast and then Bob drove us home. I have been totally humbled and overwhelmed by all the kind words from friends and people I do not even know. Old but not ready to quit yet. If it inspires just one other woman to believe that she should have a go and might succeed then that is great. It was wonderful to see Nic F gain 3rd place as she had been so nervous before the race.
1st F, Ist M/F V55 and 60, 2nd F/MV50 and 15th overall.
35hrs 58 mins so 22 minutes slower than last year which mostly happened from Grasmere onwards.


















No comments:
Post a Comment