Sunday 6 June 2021

60th Birthday bash- LDWA Virtual 100 on Lady Anne's Way

 The race along LAW in January was first postponed and then rescheduled for next year. I decided it would be useful to know the route and liked the idea of a ‘journey’ with lots of history. The LDWA virtual 100 would coincide exactly with my 60th birthday and so a plan was born. A few trial runs over most of the course, including two just a few days before the event left me confident that I knew the way and what to expect. The recent rain however had turned paths to rivers and left masses of mud- hopefully it would dry out during the week in the wind and sunshine.

Mud at a stile near Appleby
I felt relaxed without the pressure of a race and the forecast was good although getting rather hot on Sunday. The plan was for Bob to meet me in our van at a few strategic places. In the end our younger son came too which was great as they managed a lovely walk up Buckden Pike and then cycle ride over the famous Buttertubs together. They even had time to go to Hawes Creamery and buy cheese for my birthday too. I was carrying full race kit but it would be good to top up with extra food and water along the way plus also change my socks at my half way virtual drop bag.
Anxious to get going

I slept well in the van close to Skipton on Friday night but as predicted was awake at dawn. A quick breakfast and drive down to a deserted town saw me standing by the castle and ready to start soon after 5am. 

One of Lady Anne's properties

A heavy dew meant the long grass soaked my feet almost immediately but it was wonderful to get miles under my belt before it got warm and also to have the paths to myself as others slept. I had a schedule based on 4mph but was hoping to  start faster and so be able to slow in the dark and also take a few stops.

Sunrise in Embsay
Running east with the sunrise blinding me the historic Barden Tower  was reached almost before I knew it. I sped on northwards now along the Wharfe and past sleeping campsites near Appletreewick to Burnsall. A strange little loop here takes you steeply up away from the river and I took my first brief rest and admired the view.  Hebden was just waking up and when I arrived in Grassington the shops were still closed. The next section is my favourite as you head up onto the moors with superb views over the Dales. My company was lapwings, curlews and oyster catchers, all cross that I was invading their territory. I was making good time over the dry ground and after a short descent began the climb to Capplestone Gate and reminders of so many Fellsman runs. The gradual and grassy descent to Kettlewell is a real treat. The world was waking up but there were still no people on the path until I crossed the Wharfe near Starbotton and joined the Dales Way to Buckden for some flat running. This led to perhaps the biggest climb on the route from Buckden village up to the moors above Cray where Gilbert Lane track starts. 
Gilbert Lane CP

I had asked the family to park here so I could have a lunch stop and recharge my batteries before the climb up to Stake Moss. Having started an hour earlier than planned and also running at closer to 5mph meant I was early.

Still smiling- ready for a second lunch

 I had already eaten sandwiches and crisps so just guzzled a load of chocolate milk. It is always a fine balance of how much water to carry and I had opted for minimum. I had run out twice and been lucky to find clean streams.  

It's steeper than it looks here

A mixture of jogging and power walking took me to the top with easy running on the level, beautiful views of Addlebrough peak  and then down to Worton and the main road. Across the Ure and there was Nappa Hall and more history. Time to turn west now and run along the northern slopes of the river through Askrigg and Sedbusk.  It was a warm afternoon and there were more walkers now but it wasn’t crowded. 

Hawes was in full bank holiday festival mode and I couldn’t wait to escape. My hoped for ice cream never happened as the queues were dreadful but the family were waiting at Appersett; in fact Chris ran out to meet me. 

Getting hotter
This is roughly half way and I took a slightly longer break, sat down, changed my socks, aired my feet and ate. I also collected my torches although I had about 5 more hours of daylight. I tried not to worry about the state of my feet but what I saw explained why they were sore- wrinkled beyond belief and rub marks near my ankles (never had that before).
Refuelling with quiche

Dry socks were soon soaked again as I made my way to the byway that climbs Cotter End. It felt hard work but once on the top it was fantastic with glorious running on grassy tracks and views to Wild Boar Fell and Mallerstang Edge. 

Sculpture below Mallerstang

It was over too soon as the track dropped to the river and less joyful muddy paths past Pendragon Castle and then towards Nateby. A bowl of soup in the van and I was soon heading past Kirkby Stephen.

A tiny bit of road running

Earlier in the week the paths here had been like stream beds and although some had drained away it was still very wet. Winton is bypassed to the south via tiny fields with never ending ankle snapper flap gates at stiles. I had been counting these at the start of the run but lost count somewhere after 80! 

This I knew would also be the cow section. I am wary rather than scared but the young cattle by the River Belah were very inquisitive. The van had moved to Castle Brough but I didn’t even need water so just waved hello. The very wet and muddy field paths, with in places knee high meadow grass, took their toll as I plodded on to Warcop. It was here I finally accepted that I  needed a torch as a group drinking in a garden asked where I was going and had I missed the bus. Unremarkable field paths led me through more bog and mud to Great Ormside, although in day time to views to the northern Pennines are wonderful. I missed a stile hidden in a hedge but only added a few hundred metres. The cows were now spooked by my torch and running away but startled birds were making me jump. There was wild garlic and blue bells in the woods, and lots of mud, before easier grass along the river to Appleby.  The route takes a little tour of the town to see the Castle, the monuments, the wide market street and the old bridge. I had a very brief stop at the van but knew I would stiffen up. Getting going again seemed hard and a cruising police car stooped to watch. Once under the A66 I told myself this was the final lap and it was all fresh in my mind as I had run it earlier that week. I am not a road runner but the tracks and lanes were a blessing in the dark rather than the long grass and hidden holes in the meadows. I was soon in Long Marton and then Kirkby Thore. Then it was back to field paths and the River Eden to the van at Ousen Stand bridge.

Orange moon

A quick top up of water and I was on my way but not before admiring the amazing orange moon which confusing looked like a sunrise. Shortly after here I made my only short diversion from the route. At Cliburn the path goes through a farm yard with several gates and a maze of out buildings. I did not want to disturb the dogs and wake everyone at 2.30am. My alternative was the same length, just the other two sides of the rectangle. My feet were now sore having been soaked for getting close to 24 hours. I tried to just ignore this as I knew there was nothing that would help except a few hours of fresh air to my feet. The quite road to Clifton Dykes flew by and the huge rain puddles had thankfully gone. 

Suddenly there was Brougham Hall and as I turned east towards the castle the sun came up over the Pennines. 

What a treat. Daybreak always lifts my spirits and the grass was cropped short by sheep on the field paths by the still swollen Eden. The end was in sight as I arrived in Eamont Bridge and began the final climb up to the A66 and Penrith.  

I wasn't cold but near Kelber it tried to rain

The vans were waiting on Wetheriggs Lane and Chris ran the last mile with me to Penrith Castle. The park was still locked at 5am but we took photos anyway (including one inside the park).



 Routes on the web variously end LAW at Brougham and at Penrith Tourist Info Centre. I decided that Penrith castle was a more fitting end. The official LAW website claims 100 miles but I was anxious I might have recorded less and so did a couple of road loops just to make sure! I know my Epsom watch under-records compared to most garmins.
Relief for my feet at last

If the LAW is 100 miles than it is a PB for me as my tracker shows 23hrs 55 mins. If I include the extra 4 miles around the town then my time is 24hrs 44 mins. 

Either way I am happy. Macerated feet looked pretty dreadful and had caused two small blisters but two days later they had vanished. I was fuelled by sandwiches, crisps, quiche, chocolate milk, custard, soup and Mountain Fuel in my water. 

With just one short night I never really felt sleepy and although it was strange not having other runners a combination of friendly faces at the van, having OS maps on my phone and having already run most of the route made it seem easier. It was warm but not scorching sun and I prefer to be hot than to be rained on. I ate better than I often manage although there was still a spell when the food just went round and round in my mouth.

I had a lovely and memorable 60th birthday so thanks to LAW, the LDWA and to Bob and Chris for their support.

No comments:

Post a Comment