Saturday 19 June 2021

June

 I recovered well after the LDWA 100 and was soon back to cycling and climbing. A week later I had a lovely run with Rowena checking out the next very short Bowand Challenge and then adding lots more for a decent run. We try to avoid weekends unless we know it will be a quiet area so Saturday saw an early start to Dunsop. 

I had planned a 'Brennand Watershed' - like Duncan's Dunsop one but without the horrors of White Hill and it did seem a more natural loop. The birds dived bombed me and set up an awful clatter as usual. I even visited the centre of the Kingdom as I was in the area.

A glorious day and the ground is still pretty dry. Once away from Dunsop I saw nobody for the whole time I was out which is one of the reasons I love Bowland.

Next up was a quick trip to the Lakes. 

In my heart I think I knew that I had not forgotten the L5Passes route but it was a good excuse for a lovely long run and I cut out the tourists in Grasmere and made it over Loughrigg before too many were up. 

There were whole sections when I had the fells and paths to myself which was lovely. 

I met Bob almost by coincidence at the bottom of Garburn Pass and then even more by luck met Angela White on her Parr 62@62 as she made her way up Stony Cove Pike. 

I about turned and jogged with her for a bit. I now have a plan- Steve Parr's original plan was 61 peaks and next year I will be 61. Hopefully there will be lots of excellent days route finding before then as I plan to do it solo and with only minimal road support. More mid-week climbing and cycling followed and then another trip to the Lakes. 

We went up early on Friday and I set out for an easy walk to check some more of the Lakeland100 route- Cockpit, up Fusedale, and then back over Loadpot etc. 

I did run the downs and the route was a bit longer than I had thought. Possibly not the best plan pre-race day. 

We got a shock to find our usual parking spot up on the common was banned but went instead to a quieter section of common for the night having spent the day on the Woodyard which is now Pay and D but only £2.

An early start saw Bob drop me off in Askham at about 6ish. More than enough time to faff with a drop bag of food (Covid rules) and to check Joe was not serious about us needing to carry sun cream. The midges were out and I thought it was blinkin chilly- T shirt, long sleeve base layer and cag! 

Must be getting soft. Minutes rushed by as I caught up with friends I had not seen for months and months and suddenly it was almost half past and time I was running. 

I kidded myself that with no points or prizes I needn't worry about making too much effort and this sort of worked up until High Street as I let Antonio and others pass me. Then nicely warmed up and having met up with Richard L I decided to get into race mode. I love it up by Angle Tarn and it didn't disappoint. 

The rocky decent from Boredale to Patterdale was less awful than in my memory and I was soon topping up water and grabbing food. I ate on the move and was suddenly ahead of five runners. Dominic R soon came past me as did Richard but I hung on pretty well and they were never far ahead after this. The pull up from Grisedale Tarn to Helvellyn who  was tough and hot. A crowded summit was not a place to loiter and I was grateful to the tourists on Swirral Edge who made way for us runners. I think I am getting ore and more cautious on such rocky and slightly technical descents but I was soon off the worst and spotted three runners ahead. It turns out they were a group from the Chilterns and Jess especially was finding she was a little out of her comfort zone. I caught them at the lake outflow and stayed ahead through the Whole in the Wall and down to the valley. Easier running saw the easily over take me but then they stopped at Patterdale and faffed for far longer than me. I grabbed fresh water and a box of custard (kindly opened by JohnV and Stuart) and concentrated on reeling in Richard as we climbed back up to Boredale. Again I couldn't quite catch him or Dominic but I did use them to motivate me along. 

A quick photo shoot on Place Fell and it was down and down to Howtown. It was a shame not to have time to chat with Angela who was taking numbers but it was crowded with tourists and the race was on. I didn't do the race last year so it was my first time on the route without dropping to Thirlmere. Could I keep first female and could I beat 8 hours.  Knowing the end was in sight gave me a boost and I pulled ahead of Richard (although he had started later and so beat me by 5mins in the end). I had to fill up with stream water but needed it as I crossed the common and raced down to the village. 7 hours 52! and after sprawling on the grass drinking beer it was time to refuel on amazing Nav4 soup, bread, more soup and bread and cake and cups of tea. Love Nav4 events. It was great to chat with friends as they finished and to just lie in the sun. I managed to keep my first place too.

Our activities are generally driven by the forecast and Sunday didn't look so good so we came home to shower etc. Stocks replenished and we were back in the lakes on Monday and Tuesday- the sunny days of the week. Bob cycled and I set out to recee more of the Lakeland 100. 

There were big chunks I knew would be straight forward but I was keen to check the few bits I was less sure about and I like to have the paths and turnings in my mind even if there are other runners about. Bob dropped me in Coniston early and it was already warm enough for shorts and T shirt. By the time I was at Walna Scar road the car park was looking pretty full but most people were heading up Dow and I soon had the path to myself. Seathwaite was fairly quiet and I didn't see anybody until I dropped into Eskdale. A few 'new to me' miles took me past Burnmoor Tarn and over to Wasdale. 

Again the car park looked busy but my route by passed the crowds and had me heading up Black Sail Pass where I only met a few people. The climb wasn't too bad although the start of the descent slowed me down. 

The same was true on Scarth Gap- the pull up from the YHA was OK but the descent wasn't worth risking race pace. I must remember in the race that 10 mins lost here will not be vital and there are plenty of other runnable bits.

I was now getting hot and tired. The promised ice cream never happened as at a few minutes to 5pm I wondered if it would still be open. 

No parts of the climb to Sail Pass are especially steep but wow it goes on and on. I needed to refill my water several times and did try to run the contour sections. The rocky trails after the pass were mashing my feet and I was so pleased to reach the grassy slopes after Barrow Door.  What a lovely drop to Braithwaite. Even better Bob offered to drive down from Whinlatter and pick me up! Lakeland 100 might not go over peaks but those first 32 miles or so are tough. It will be important to leave enough in the tank for dawn and the second day. We slept near the Blencathra Centre and I looked forward to an easier day in the morning. It started with easy running downhill and on lanes to Threlkeld before the climb to the Old Coach Road. 

This then had a few more ups than I remembered but was a fairly good surface.

There were a few tricky bits between Dockray and Aira Force and I couldn't quite make the description work but following my nose seemed to fit the GPX file. The crowds going to the waterfall were mostly by passed and soon left behind as I traversed Gowbarrow. It was easy nav but I am glad to have done it as there was more climb than I had realised. After Swinburns Park another section didn't quite fit the text but then easy lanes took me rapidly to Dacre. I had planned to meet Bob here but decided it would be good to carry on to Dalemain as there was plenty of time. I was very disappointed to find the cafe there doesn't sell ice creams! I stopped to eat my sandwiches and to refill my water before heading on to Pooley Bridge. It was heaving but I knew I could get an ice cream there. Easy riverside paths took me to the lovely new bridge. In the shop I asked for a double ice cream only to be told quite sternly that they only sell singles. I am not sure what would have happened if I had replied that I would take two! Have never been told I cannot have that much ice cream before. Refreshed I retraced my steps and then took a lane to meet Bob in Dacre where we sat in the sun drinking coffee until it was time to drive home.

Wednesday saw a rare day of nothing- well no running, cycling or climbing. 

A quick trip to Leeds to deliver books and maps to Chris allowed an overnight in the Dales and then a long run on Friday before the weekend crowds. I have had my eye on Duncan's Dales Skyline for a while and so that was the plan.

 I would be doing it in reverse as we had slept near Settle and was a little anxious about fine route finding and ways over dry stone walls.

A friend had recently done the route and just scrapped in under 10 hours so that was my target- assuming I found my way over the first 12 miles or so. In the end it was fairly straight forward and good grassy paths to Warrendale Knots. Second CP is Rye Loaf and there were no real paths once I left the Dales High Way but in good vis it was easy. The section heading north to the Malham road posed a few more issues as I searched for the best trods and places to cross walls then it was easy up onto Malham Moor and Fountains Fell. Easy but up and up. At this point I questioned why I was doing the route in reverse. It was though beautifully quiet and stayed so until I reached the flanks of Pen Y Gent.

A quick charge to the summit 3hrs 13 and I was soon off to Horton. At least I knew the way now although it was further than I remembered heading across to Inglebrough. Again this would be lovely downhill running if I was going the other way. Luckily I found a welcome spring and got fresh water. I didn't stick around on the summit as it was chilly in the breeze and I was keen to get the descent over with- I really dislike the initial rocky drop off here. Once past the Hill Inn the seemed to be hoards of people coming the other way- some 3Ps challenge no doubt. I bought an ice lolly at the barn and ate it as I ran on. 

Taking the Fellsman trod let me escape some people and I was soon on the summit and at the start of new to me terrain again. The drop west to Kingsdale was good and I found nice grassy paths. Once I had crossed the road it was a different story but the ground was pretty dry as I hacked across to join the big track for a short while. Then it was pathless again for the climb up to Green Hill and the little summit cairn. I couldn't decide whether to stick to the ridge path and do a big loop or head more directly to Crag Hill. In the end I did a bit of both and I arrived just inside 7 hours. Only one peak left now but I knew the next section would be rough and that the last climb would be horrendous. The descent to Barbondale wasn't great, or perhaps my legs were just getting tired but the climb up the other side was dreadful. The vegetation was OK but it was steep and seemed to go on forever. It took me 30 mins and then arriving at the ridge I then found the summit trig was still some way off up hill to the north. My hopes of sub 8hrs30 were not looking good. 

The paths from here to the finish were a joy but further than I had anticipated. I did try and felt like I was really racing but time was bleeding fast as I reached the parkland close to the village. By the time I reached the finish at the church it was 8hrs48.

Oh well, still not bad and only a quick walk to the pub. The pint of bitter-shandy barely touched the sides and I would have ordered a second but £4.50 for 2/3 lemonade and a dash of beer seemed excessive. I rang Bob asking him to come and collect me and sat on the war memorial steps eating my sandwiches. A great day out but I was trashed. Next time I will try it in the other direction. Yes, 12 hours later and I am already remembering how lovely most of it was and making plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment